Monday, November 15, 2010

Mean it!


I've become a big fan of Kanako Murakami so far this season- she is a joy to watch and today I figured out why- every movement she does looks finished off and looks as if it happened for a reason- she draws you into the character of the piece and makes you believe she is loving it out there on the ice. This is a big thing coming from such a young and relatively inexperienced skater.


I noticed the difference when I watched one of my up-till-now favourite skaters, Caroline Zhang in her free skate. Caroline is working hard to improve her jump technique but it seems that her best qualities (spins and artistry) are slipping out the window at the same time. By contrast to Kanako her movements and transitions are somewhat meaningless and she looks disinterested in everything except getting to the next move.


I know it's early in the season and everyone is growing into their new programmes. But those who can get past the jumps and really perform are those who I think are set up for success. Of the americans Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner are probably up there with performance quality and I look forward to seeing more as the season progresses. But for Miss Murakami, the sky might just be the limit!

Any skaters (or gymnasts for that matter!) you feel are particularly good or poor in this area? I appreciate all your comments and input. 

No comments:

Post a Comment